Wheat is an important crop in Nebraska, with farmers producing 60-80 million bushels each year. This grain has sustained family farms in the state for generations, and filled consumer needs across the globe with a consistently high-quality product. It has also helped to define Nebraska as a flourishing agricultural mainstay in the United States and around the world.
That’s why the Nebraska Wheat Board and the Nebraska Wheat Growers Association will continue working to ensure that the way of life for wheat producers can continue into the future.
NWB announces District 4 Board of Director opening
Appointment for District 4 on the Board of Directors is now open, following the resignation of Dan Hughes. The new director will complete the original term to end June 30, 2016. More information on qualifications and how to apply can be found here.
Hughes to Resign from NWB
Dan Hughes, the District 4 representative for NWB has submitted his resignation, effective December 31, 2014. More information can be found here.
NWB selects new student ambassadors
NWB selected five college students to serve at this year’s Wheat Ambassadors. To learn more about the students and the program, click here.
Wheat Crop Report
The most recent Nebraska Wheat spring crop update is here. Please note, regular crop reports will resume in the spring after the crop breaks dormancy.
NWGA announces annual meeting
The NWGA annual meeting will be held December 8 in North Platte, NE. For more information, click here.
Mark Spurgin of Paxton elected to NWGA Board of Directors
Mark Spurgin, a wheat farmer and cattle rancher from Paxton was recently elected to serve on the NWGA Board of Directors. For more information, click here.
Mobile Baking Lab in Beaver Crossing, NE
Nebraska Wheat and the Mobile Baking Lab traveled to Beaver Crossing, Neb. to bake wheat foods for the residents and volunteers working on tornado cleanup. For more information on the relief effort, head here.
- Visit the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s page about all things wheat.
- Keep up to date with crop production and pest management practices via UNL’s CropWatch newsletter.
- View information on the 2013 Winter Wheat Variety Trials.
- Learn more about the Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
- View the Wheat Disease Profiles I and the Wheat Disease Profiles II.
- Take the Virtual Wheat Varieties Tour.
- Learn more about the Small Grains Breeding being done by Dr. P. Stephen Baenziger at UNL.